Kindergarten Information

This area is a guide to general classroom procedures for our Kindergarten year.  Please review our important Kindergarten and Alward information below:

Being a teacher is the best! I am committed to social/emotional and academic excellence through hands-on learning activities and play. I have done my personal best to simultaneously nurture students’ emotional, social, academic, and behavioral needs. On a daily basis, I see the importance of Kindergarten – where children transform into self- confident, independent learners who are prepared for first grade. I’m so glad your child is here!
Please feel free to contact me throughout the school year. Phone Number: (616) 669-6700 or email: mwert@hpseagles.net

Communication- Your child will have a folder (the BEE Binder: Bring Everything Everyday) for all notes and mail to go home in everyday. This is also where you put any notes for me. Please make sure your child brings his/her folder EVERYDAY, and has a parent check it EVERYDAY. If you have a question or concern that needs immediate attention, please don’t hesitate to email or call me.

Transportation- For dismissal, bus riders will get a bus tag which helps make sure they get on the correct bus, so please keep this tag on your child’s backpack all year.
Parent Pick Up: Pick up will be on the west side (office side) of the building. Parents must place their name placard  (given at pick up on the first day) on the dash of their car. Cars must line up in the car pick up line. Children will be called to you.
If there is a change in how your child will be getting home, please send a DATED note in the BEE Folder. You may also contact me by email no later than 2:00 pm.
Bus Riders: **Please note** Pre K and Kindergarten students must ride their assigned bus all year long. The transportation department does not allow Pre K or Kindergarten students to be dropped off at different stops (such as with a friend). This is specific for Pre K and K students and is a Board of Education Policy established for the safety and security of the children.
Volunteers We need many volunteers in Kindergarten, whether it is for parties, dressing for outdoors, or help with projects at home. I will use Volunteer Spot to help with these events. Please sign up for a spot to let me know what your interested in. ALL volunteers must have a background check on file.

Daily Schedule- School starts at 8:45 a.m. Recess is 11:40-11:55. Lunch is 12:00-12:20.. Dismissal at 3:45.

Take-Home books– Our Take-Home reading program encourages students to become readers. They will have the opportunity to take home a book that is “a good fit for them” to read at home and then they will read that same book to a volunteer at school. This program typically begins after Christmas vacation. More information on how you can be involved will be sent home later in the year.

Backpack Snack- The children will need a home snack to refuel their bodies and brain, so please pack a small healthy snack (crackers, raisins, grapes, carrots, pretzels, animal crackers, trail mix, etc) that can be eaten quickly each morning inside your child’s backpack. Think “easy and simple”. Please DO NOT place your child’s backpack snack inside their lunch box. I do not want them to confuse this quick snack time with lunch. Instead, decide together (you and your child) which small pocket on their backpack will contain their morning backpack snack. Deciding together will help your child know where their
snack is located when it is time for them to retrieve it each day.

Drinks- The children will be able to get a drink from our drinking fountain inside the room or they may take a water bottle from home. No juice boxes will be allowed at this time…save them for lunch if your child would like one. No soda please! Thanks!

Birthdays- Celebrating birthdays is a special day for your child at school. If you would like, you may bring in/send in a birthday “treat” for the class. Due to food allergies, treats may NOT be food. Some examples of non-food items are bubbles, glow sticks, silly straws, stickers, etc.!

Label All Items- Please remember to label ALL clothing, backpacks, lunch boxes, etc. Things get misplaced and it is much easier to locate them if your child’s name is on his/her personal items.

Bathroom Tips- Please encourage and practice with your child their role in using the restroom. We are not able to help them in the restroom. This is for the safety and success of your child. We have a restroom in our classroom and will have scheduled bathroom breaks throughout the day.

Lunch- The children will be eating their lunch in the cafeteria. They will be supervised by lunch aides who will assist the children in opening their drinks, containers, and encouraging them to eat their lunch. Please talk with your child each morning so that they know what they will be having for lunch that day. Alward offers a hot lunch program onsite. We offer two choices each day for hot lunch. Cold lunch may be brought from home. Parents can pay for hot lunch program through online Jenison/Hudsonville food program or via payment box in front lobby. Checks may be made out to Community Ed. Food Service.
It takes a few weeks for the children to feel comfortable eating at school so please pack their favorite foods to make this transition easier for them. For more information about the hot lunch program and monthly menus, please check out their website at www.jenhudfood.org

EXTRA INFORMATION
**REPORT CARDS AND CONFERENCES** Your child’s progress will be discussed during conferences twice a year. We will meet in the fall and spring. If there is a problem or concern before then, please contact me.
**NO TOYS** Please do not allow your child to bring ANY toys from home to school. This ensures there will be no broken or lost toys here. Thanks for your reinforcement.

WOW! You have been given a lot of information to sift through. Thanks for taking the time to read through everything. Now you will have a good understanding of some of the nuts and bolts of our classroom. I am very excited and know we are going to have a terrific time working together this school year. You’ve entrusted your child to me and I will do my very best to make this year a wonderful experience for you child. Thanks for everything you will do at home and at school to encourage your student and myself this school year.

Mrs. Wert